It’s that time of year when weather is getting cooler, holidays are growing nearer and students are getting wiser. We at the UConn Fire Department would like to share a couple of fire safety tips to keep your Halloween holiday safe.
- Reminder that no candles or open flames are allowed in the residence halls. Glow sticks, flashlights or battery operated candles are a safe option.
- Keep exits clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes.
- Do not black out exit signs with decorations.
- Do not hang anything on sprinkler pipes including, but not limited to, cobwebs or lights.
- Avoid overloading extension cords
- Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations well away from all open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
- Buy costumes, wigs, props and decorations that are labeled flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Use caution when using a fog machine near smoke detectors to prevent an unintentional activation of the fire alarm.
If you have any questions regarding your decorations or upcoming events, please contact the UConn Fire Marshal’s office at 860-486-4878.
Have a Happy and Safe Halloween.
For more information, contact: UConn Fire Marshal’s Office at 860-486-4878.