The Strategic Plan 2016 – 2020, articulates foundational planning components and a set of priorities that guide the Division’s work and resource allocation to deliver on mission and support broader institutional priorities and values. The core of the plan is defined by a set of Strategic Themes and Strategic Objectives. Strategic Themes provide the broad priority areas in which the Division must perform well. Strategic Objectives provide focus for continual improvement efforts that articulate the Division’s strategy to deliver on mission, create and add value to stakeholders and support institutional priorities.
Strategic Objectives are achieved through the on-going identification, implementation and management of initiatives at the division and at the department level. These initiatives establish an evolving portfolio of projects that are reviewed and renewed on an annual basis.
The Mission, Value, Strategic Themes and Strategic Objectives are listed below. The links on the right provide additional information related to strategic planning efforts.
The Division of Student Affairs supports the educational mission of the University and enables student success through services, programs and experiences that extend learning, support health and wellness, and enhance personal development. The Division fosters an inclusive community, student engagement and active and responsible citizenship.
- Ethical Action
- Initiative & Innovation
- Student Centered
Strategic Themes & Objectives
Student Health and Well-being
Strategic Results: Students are emotionally, mentally and physically healthy, make responsible choices, and take responsibility for both their own safety and well-being and that of the community.
- Enhance psychological well-being and healthy functioning of students
- Enhance student safety
Strategic Results: With access to the Division’s diverse staff, programs and services, students will learn to respect, navigate and thrive in a diverse environment.
- Enhance programs and services that promote diversity and student development
- Recruit and retain a diverse staff
- Enhance staff skills and knowledge to serve an increasingly diverse student body
Strategic Results: Students feel connected to the UConn community, persist to graduation, and develop as citizens and leaders to their future communities.
- Increase capacity to support student involvement in programs and activities that support educational and personal development
- Increase learning opportunities in activities that directly support priorities of the Academic Plan, including those related to leadership, diversity, community outreach, and global citizenship
- Enhance students’ residential experience
- Optimize portfolio of facilities which support student success
Welcoming and Inclusive Community
Strategic Results: Students feel welcome and have access and opportunity to engage with a community that is inclusive of all forms of diversity and appreciates multiple voices and perspectives.
- Enhance experiences that bond students to the University and support traditions
- Enhance the experience of entering undergraduate students
- Enhance inclusiveness of services and programs
Strategic Results: Programs and services and are aligned with the Division’s strategic plan and mission and continually improve within a culture of assessment and best practice.
- Promote a culture of assessment
- Optimize resources